Google
 
Web Sencillez

7.07.2005 10:02 AM

Blood is Blue?!?!

from answers.comLast Friday, me and my officemates had our company-provided Annual Physical Examination. I asked Law, just as he finished his blood exam: "is it true that the color of our blood is blue?" He was like "what??!!?? are you serious? it's red." Still tormented by confusing thoughts, I answered him with a bashful question "huhhhhh?"

I remember my college instructor telling the whole class that it's blue; and that it becomes red when it comes into contact with oxygen. Thus, explains the color of our veins.

After some flashbacks, Law responded and told me that he's gonna ask the nurse who took our blood samples. Afraid that they might make a laugh trip out of it, I stuck a magazine into his mouth and told him that I'll just research about it on the net :D.

It seems that I wasn't the only one confused, it's actually a popular misconception. I saw several forums discussing the same topic. Here are a couple of good explanations from Answers.com and from Science Education Partnenrships .

Our blood's color is never blue, though it can range from bright red to deep red. It is bright red when it's oxygenated and deep red when it's not. So it definitely doesn't make our veins blue, the latter are bluish by themselves. Well at least the 'oxygen' part coincided with my professor's statement.

Eh ano naman ung berde ang dugo? ako ba un... ;)

5 Random thoughts...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sana hindi mo pinigilan si lolo na tanungin un sa nurse :D

i miss my Bio class.

07/08/2005 2:56am

20/7/05 17:48  
Blogger Anne Kristine said...

eh pano kaya nakakahiya...pinagtatawanan pa nila ko ni jen heheh

07/08/2005 11:59am

20/7/05 17:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See? sabi ko na. Halos lahat ng animals ay may pulang dugo(not sure). Eniweys, may atraso ka pa sa akin anne. pinakain mo ako ng magazine. hmp!!!

07/08/2005 5:25pm

20/7/05 17:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anubuzz???
buti hindi nadiscover ung tinatago mo nung nagpaphysical exam ka!!! jowk...
Galing mo tlg magtago!!!

07/16/2005 10:03am

20/7/05 17:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mare, 1st tym ko mg-liwaliw d2 s site u until I came across this one.
Papampam lng huh, pro alam mo b n ung mga lobsters eh somewhat color BLUE ang blood?
I can recall that I got the trivia from watching 'Beakman's World' n plabas s channel 9 nuong early highschool days ko.
Kya dw gnun kc ang oxygen carrier nla eh copper (as opposed to our blodd w/c is iron) . And Copper tend to become blue when exposed to oxygen...
Ala lng, pa-pampam...

4/8/05 16:49  

Post a Comment

Home